Family Law

Guideline Child Support

When parents no longer live together, the Court will order one parent to pay child support to the other parent.  The amount to be paid is based upon a mathematical formula, and the information which is used to calculate child support includes:  the gross incomes of both parties; the amount each party pays for health insurance for him/herself; the amount each party pays for health insurance for the child; the daycare expense; whether one of the parents has been ordered to pay child support for another child, and actually pays it; and the timesharing plan (i.e. the number of overnights) enjoyed by the parents with the child. 

Once guideline child support is determined, the Courts most often impose that amount.  A Court may deviate up or down by 5%, but if more than a 5% deviation is ordered, the Court must provide written reasons why the guidelines are not being used.  Additionally, if the parties agree to or are awarded 50/50 timesharing, then either parent may be required to pay child support to the other, depending upon the relative income of the parents.  Further, even if one parent is the majority timesharing parent, if the other parent has substantial time with the child (for instance a 60/40 split) and if the majority timesharing parent makes a substantially larger income than the minority timesharing parent, then the majority timesharing parent may actually have to pay some amount of child support to the other parent.

Contact us today for a consultation and find out how we can help with your child support issues.

Child Support for Extremely High Income Earners

There are arguments to be made that the guidelines should not be followed where the payor earns an extremely high income and the child support would result in a windfall to the child or the receiving parent, especially if the guideline amount is significantly higher than the actual needs of the child.  In such situations a parent may want to argue that the Court should deviate from the guidelines, and instead determine the actual needs of the child, but the child’s lifestyle, based on the income of the paying parent, may also be considered by the Court.

Contact us today for a consultation and find out how we can help with your child support issues.

Get In Touch

Call us at (904) 359-5505
E-mail us at
Or leave us a message on the form below.

Please leave this field empty.

Visit Us

3217 Atlantic Blvd
Jacksonville, FL 32207

Call Us

(904) 359-5505

Fax Us

(904) 359-5506

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

†AV® Rated is the highest rating a lawyer can achieve with Martindale-Hubbell. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the Bar and the Judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings fall into two categories - legal ability and general ethical standards.

Combs Greene